Monday, October 4, 2010

Just Right.

You know how some things that we eat trigger memories from our childhood?

Well, this is one of my triggers.

As a kid, I loved it whenever I had this for a snack. Whether I was at home or in the classroom with the rest of my generation, I was thrilled whenever someone pulled out this little treat.

The part I liked best of course was the hard sugary icing on top. It looked pretty, like a demure little flower perched on a rock. And it tasted GOOD, too. I would bite off the top from the biscuit and eat it with a relish, savouring the sweetness.

The bottom part I would then discard with disdain. It was plain, colourless, TASTELESS. It didn't draw my attention the way the pretty icing did.

Why do people make such plain old biscuits? I would wonder. Why don't they just make the top part?

But after several such instances of snitching the icing and tossing the biscuit, I would get tired of the sweetness that I had liked in the first place and quickly lose interest. It was too much sugariness on its own till I could no longer appreciate its taste.

....

Fifteen years later, I am eating the biscuits again, snacking while I watch football with my brothers and friends.

And suddenly I realize why you have to eat the biscuit as a whole - not just the top, or the bottom alone.

Because together, they taste just right.

They complement each other. The plain biscuit accentuates the pleasant appeal of the coloured icing, and the icing in her turn lends sweetness to the biscuit that is not there on its own.

It’s a mini reflection of life.

Too many good things at one go becomes no longer good. If Life was over-saturated with happy moments and good things all at once, we would no longer be able to appreciate it after awhile. At the start, we would enjoy the sweetness, happy and pleased. But eventually our sensitivity to its pleasant flavour would be dulled. We’d get tired of the good things, losing interest and pleasure in its taste.

At the same time, if Life were constantly plain and uninteresting like the little round biscuit, we would be just as prone to murmur and complain. The dull staple would be viewed in the same way we view tedious days – with contempt. Nothing to look forward to. No sweet moments to add flavour to the unexciting existence. Boring.

But when Life is peppered with a little of both, they balance off each other perfectly. The fun happening days lend an existence to the other slow-moving moments, and the gentle peaceful days give us a breather so that we can recharge and properly appreciate the energetic moments.

Together, they are just right.

**She thinks the last two weeks have been too long, and is looking forward to tomorrow**

No comments:

Post a Comment