Friday, April 24, 2009

Fighting Sleep!

Despite my best efforts, it is becoming quite a struggle to keep my eyes open. Four hours of sleep for two consecutive nights, lots of activities, and a monotonous workday are not the best conditions for maintaining alert and sharp in office, I’m afraid.

It is scary. One minute your eyes are focused on the words on the paper. And then a few seconds later, the images blur and you start seeing double. Then you fling your eyes open, realizing with a start that they had slipped closed without you even realizing, and leaving you to wonder worriedly just how long had you blissfully lost consciousness in front of your desk.

I’m already blasting the music through my earphones into my ears, choosing the especially fast-beat one to get my adrenaline moving. A Ferrerro chocolate has disappeared from my drawer, in an effort to create a sugar-high. Sipping water, stretching and rubbing stiff neck muscles, and shaking my head to clear the fogginess has been of little avail too. My little Wakasa teddy bear looks on sympathetically at my losing battle from his position in front of me, beside my lappy.

I’ve even contemplated splashing some cold water on my face, except that I don’t want the half-hour spent doing my make-up this morning to go down the drain with the water. Help, I’m running out of options!!


I must concentrate on the contract writing, I really must. In this area of work, no mistakes can be afforded.

Come on, gal, you can do it. Just hang on another half-hour till lunchtime….

**Desperate times call for desperate measures.**

No comments:

Post a Comment